The mission of the Center for Information and Communication Studies is to focus the talent of faculty and research staff within the College of Communication and Information, across the disciplines at UT, and beyond on addressing research problems related to information and communication systems and services, broadly defined.
CICS will fulfill its mission by pursuing the following goals:
- Identifying research problems involving the intersection of information technology, knowledge-based systems and services, communication, and user behavior.
- Building interdisciplinary research teams from within the College, across the University, and outside the UT community, to bring the full range of University and other research talent to bear on such problems.
- Identifying funding sources and developing proposals for projects that will further knowledge in information and communication issues.
- Conducting research projects in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Disseminating the results of its research in a manner that assures effective knowledge transfer.
The following principles support the mission:
- CICS will work within the College of Communication and Information to establish policies and procedures to support research efforts and to eliminate administrative barriers to funded research.
- CICS research activities will be coordinated and integrated with those of the College of Communication and Information faculty and staff to the fullest extent possible.
- CICS research activities will build on a long tradition of working closely with ORNL scientists and technical staff, other research organizations in the region, and information and communication-related organizations.
- Non-proprietary or security-cleared research efforts of the Center for Information and Communication Studies will be communicated to the professional community in a variety of appropriate venues.