Quick Submission Information
When you have your IRB protocol ready for an initial review, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are a student, review the protocol with a faculty advisor BEFORE this initial submission.
Member(s) of the departmental review committee will provide feedback on your electronic submission. Based on that feedback, make changes. Then print out a hard copy of the IRB protocol and sign it (also get your advisor's signature if you are a student).
Bring the signed form to the Center for Information & Communication Studies (Communications 421). CICS staff will get the remaining signatures for you and will track progress of the protocol through the review process.
The following sections provide more information about College and University procedures for the protection of Human Subjects. See checklist for a quick overview.
Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI)
The Office of Research & Engagement has partnered with the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) program to allow UT Knoxville affiliated researchers the opportunity to participate in online research ethics education. Faculty and graduate students can use this link to register for CITI certification: http://research.utwebteam.wpengine.com/compliance-registration/ In the near future, all researchers who use human subjects will be required to have this certification. More information about CITI can be found at http://research.utk.edu/training/citi.shtml.
IRB FAQS & Guides - the what and why of reviews
- IRB Best Practices
- CCI IRB FAQ
- 8 Tips for Quicker IRB Approval
- Tips for Quicker IRB Approval ppt
CCI IRB Procedures
UT IRB Resources
- Moving Through IRB Basics
- UTK Office of Research Compliance Training Program IRB and RCR
- UT Office of Research Compliance
The UT Office of Research Compliance site provides a number of additional links and guides.
UT IRB Forms
- Form A Application (for approval as "exempt")
- Form B Application (for all other initial approvals)
- Form D Application (requests for any changes or extensions)
- Guidelines for Form A
UT IRB Document Samples
- Sample Study Statement (as introduction or for recruitment)
- Sample Informed Consent
- Sample Assent Form (for minors or other protected groups)
- Sample Confidentiality Pledge (for transcribers or others with access to raw confidential data)
- HIPAA Template (only used if you're getting medical information from covered sources)